Friday, May 21, 2010

The Art Of Walking


Here is the thing, we all know we need some form of exercise in our life to stay healthy, especially when we are on the wrong side of 40. So with that said, I want to state here that the "gym thing" or running a daily marathon is not my choice of exercise for more reasons than one. So I opt to walk.


I have always been a firm believer of walking and feel it is the best way of getting plenty of exercise without really hurting myself in the process. However, I also know that to get the most out of my walk, I must follow a few simple rules I created for myself.


Walking everyday is ideal for me. I prefer a path with challenges along the way. Such as 50 or so steps to climb up, 500 yards total of some uphill and then downhill, a dirt road or on sand to minimize some unwarranted shock throughout my muscles and finally a winding road or coarse to make it more fun. The second thing I enjoy while walking, is changing the neighborhood everyday. I find that if I walk the neighborhood I live around, I tend to get bored very quickly and end up cheating by walking only for 5-10 minutes around two blocks and then returning home to blog (in my case).


The way I accomplish this is, although I repeat some neighborhoods on a weekly basis, I mix and match the paths and direction while doing so. The third thing of course is music in my ears and walking with a friend for safety and security. Keep in mind the music you put together on your I-Tunes/I-pod should be upbeat and fast paced dance tunes, no classical music or love songs (those tend to slow you down and make your mind wonder to places you don't need to be while walking). Finally breath in and out and keep shoulders up while striding along.

So before you attempt to take that walk spontaneously, think twice and chart your course with a few challenges so that you can master the art of walking and get the most out of your exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment