Sunday, February 7, 2010

Religion In A Nutshell


Every Sunday my mother tries to convince me to go to church with her and I gracefully decline. It used to upset her but now she just gives me a disappointed look and goes about doing her business.

Her belief is that the only way to get a full appreciation of God and religion is by physically frequenting a building with an alter and cross and a choir and worshipers and so on. My interpretation of religion and prayer is the feeling you have inside and the ability to pray when and wherever feels right and good. She doesn't see my point and I, although understand her old school thinking don't want to accept her views. So after I drive her to church every Sunday, I often take the long way home and walk along the beach and pray in my own special way.

One evening during holy week (week between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday) I decided to accompany her to church just to make her feel better and also because the services ran into the late hours of the night, I didn't want her to be there alone. Our faith is one of the oldest religions around and therefore every aspect of our christian worship is lengthy and beautifully orchestrated and requires complete patience and understanding.

I want to mention here that the last time I attended this particular service was when I was 14 years old because I found it boring and too long. So at the age of 48 I went with her, sat in the darkness and listened to the prayer exchanges among the clergy. There is a point in the service that my mother goes to the upstairs level so that she can pray without anyone around her. So we climbed the stairs, holding candles and sat alone away from everyone. I watched and listened to my mother read from the book along with the priest and deacons and choir and as they all prayed in unison, she tied a knot on a string, this process went on seven times on about 20 strings. I watched her, tears welled up in my eyes and I found myself completely mesmerized by what I saw, heard and I felt a strong pull inside me, which I cannot explain. It was there that I understood what my mother was trying to tell me all along.

My experience that Thursday night was the most surreal and weightless and it was there that I developed a whole new respect for my faith and religion. I don't attend church every Sunday but when I do, I completely engross myself in the experience and feel revived when I leave the worship place called church.

No comments:

Post a Comment