Friday, February 5, 2010

Temporary Working


Losing a job these days can be a strange awakening. In some cases it can

be good and others not so good. Most people react to losing their jobs in the most negative possible way and others tend to see it as an opportunity to do something new and perhaps better.

I am on the fence about it all. I recently lost my job and although knew it was coming in more ways then one, I wasn't scared when it happened. I felt that this would be an opportune time for me to find my calling and figure out how to get there. You see this isn't the first time I lost my job, it is actually my third time.

First time, I left my career/job on my own terms after 19 years of employment, the second time I was recruited and mislead by a company and the position I was hired for and as a result was let go, and the third time is of course now, downsizing and relocation.

From the three scenarios I learned the following:

1. Never remain in a career/job you did not choose for yourself for more than a year.

2. Do not make quick decisions to go with a privately owned company conjured up by a husband and wife team from a small town with no work ethics.

3. Don't fall back on a job in a dying industry.

The problem now is moving forward. I am at a crossroad because what I wanted to pursue as a career at five (acting) has now become more and more difficult to obtain at my age. Being jobless is not ideal for anyone but having a job that's unrewarding is even worse. So, although I apply for jobs here and there, nothing seems to make sense because a small voice inside me keeps saying follow your heart, but my bank account is saying follow your responsibilities. And so the story goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment