Friday, April 30, 2010

Modern Design and Middle Age


I love architecture and design. I cannot settle for the outdated in this area of my life. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing but to me, because I don't live by what others think about me, is a great thing.

From the 70s to the 90s I had trouble accepting the furniture and home designs and flipped through magazines, being simply bored with what I saw. Nonetheless I conformed hoping someday, somehow, somewhere, someone would create design I can live by and with.

Then came Dwell Magazine and the erection of modern homes with energy efficient as well as recycled materials used to build the dwelling and I must say, I have never been happier about architecture and design.

I am a firm believer of streamline, clean design and the notion that less is more and so goes the appreciation of modern design.

In the past, we cluttered our homes with pieces we really did not need and colors that only worked with one season and not the other. For example a floral couch was appealing in the spring months more so then the dead of winter when family gathered in the living room to open gifts on Christmas morning. A corduroy pattern couch was too rough for the spring and summer months in cities where the temperature climbed well into the 100s. Bulky wooden furniture simply looked overbearing and overwhelming throughout a house and took away from the room size and sometimes even the view from the windows.

Dark and dreary curtains, inappropriate lighting and bulky television sets consumed a room and left nothing to appreciate about the environment.

Brown or dark Burgundy solid carpet colors throughout the house, sometimes even on bathroom floors made the room look harsh and unromantic. I can go on about all the wrongs in design but I think you get my point.

So now, I am not suggesting you get rid of your entire furniture or anything remotely close to that. I am however, saying that if you are at a point in life where you think you need a change, pick upDWELL and Metropolitan Homes Magazine and consider modern design. Streamlining and getting rid of the clutter. Rip out the carpet, expose the hardwood floors and consider complimentary colors for your walls. Get rid of the television set from the bedroom and replace old dingy wall picture frames with decors and trinkets or photographs with a natural theme. Pick material colors or patterns which are natural and uniform throughout the four seasons and install lighting which will enhance your environment. Hide the Wii and Play stations and don't display all the DVDs you proudly own.

Select bamboo plants and easily controlled and managable plants rather than those that crawl up one corner of your wall. Minimize the items on display in cases and cabinets and use spot lighting to accent the special pieces. As for the window covering, in my opinion, stay away from the 2-3 inch blinds or inside shutters. Those are disgusting and take away from the natural light and energy illuminating your home from the outside and if you have to worry about hot weather locations, consider energy efficient widows.

If you want ideas and suggestions, please feel free to drop me a line or a photo of your room you want to decorate and I will be happy to give you feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment